Saturday, March 18, 2006

What makes me feel alive..

...something Dinkeee asked yesterday which set me thinking.

Well, I told her, three things make me feel the most alive.

Talking to people (yesh yesh, so typical..), travelling, and singing (especially when I'm singing worship songs.)

But when I got home, yesterday evening and today, I proceeded to think more. And more. And I think there's so much more that makes me feel - alive. Glad to be alive. Joyful.

Standing on the top deck of a mid-sized ferry, feeling the wind blowing ferociously against my face - that makes me feel alive. Suddenly coming to an understanding about some disgustingly difficult philosophy problem - that makes me feel alive. Being able to debate (and argue some people down, kekeke) about these philosophical issues makes me feel alive. Trudging through the snow and rubbing my red nose and staring in amazement at the misty breath coming out of my mouth - like I've done once in my life - makes me feel alive.

So does walking home in the dark at 2am in the sharp brisk wind; so does feeling God's love and the love of my friends and family. I feel alive when I'm pressing my nose against train windows, staring at the scenery passing by at 80km/h.

I feel alive when I'm basking in the sunshine.. at the back of my mind, I know I have an appointment somewhere, sometime, but somehow, just standing in the warmth of the sun and gazing at my shadow is all that makes me feel alive, at that particular point in time.

I feel alive at that first trembling bite of simple porridge or bread-and-cheese, when I've been ill and had no appetite for a few days. The plain food tastes like the best foie gras in the world to me then, as I close my eyes and savour...

I feel alive after a long run in the park, which I sadly hardly do anymore..but when I do do it.. despite the aching limbs, the trembling muscles, the sweatiness.. I feel alive.

Yup..those, and loads more, make me feel alive. Thank God for hands to feel, mouths to sing and worship, and feet to travel! Eyes to take in all Creation and ears to hear... thank God for being able to live..

What makes you feel alive? Think about it.. celebrate life... celebrate just simply being able to live!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home